How do I search for a psychiatrist? I need to find one for my dad who is in a psychiatric hospital. He is 81 and since seizuring 6 weeks ago, has serious anger issues and acts out inappropriately. The attending now seems not to certain of how to proceed. My niece also needs someone. She lost her mother in Dec. and herself has had unresolved issues dealing with lying, and she does not get attached to things. She changes jobs all the time, and never takes responsibility for anything. She is a single parent of a 14 month old and leaves him with lots of people. I think she needs help quick. I do not know how to secure someone GOOD, with the appropriate experience. What are some questions to ask even? I appreciate any wisdom you can offer! Thanks.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.