I am a self injurer. I have been doing this ever since I've been about 3 years of age. I also dissociate a lot, and feel unreal. Lately, this behavior is happening more and more, and I'm getting scared. I sort of think I should see a Doctor or somebody, but am not sure how to approach one. Doctors (most people, actually) really scare me, and part of me really wants to tell somebody about this because it is bigger and scarier than I am, but every time I open my mouth to speak the truth about something upsetting, I clam up. I get nervous just walking past a walk-in clinic, never mind if I was to go inside and actually *see* somebody. Where I live, most people treat self-injurers like freaks, still. I am a teenager, too. Do you have any advice? Please answer.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.